Informative Story Outline: October 15th

1 – Goal:

My goal for this project is to be able to improve my sports journalism skills by actively trying to engage the reader into the story I am telling. I want the reader to feel the emotion and ups and downs that happened in the Baltimore Ravens vs. Indiana Colts NFL game. I would also like them to end up with a bit of interest for the NFL, so to inspire them.

2 – Audience:

The audience for my story will be people who are interested in either the NFL or interested in sports in general (including locals supporting the Kamloops Blazers), since my blog is a general sports journalism blog. Since the audience may not know specifics about the NFL, I will not go into detail about the game recap, but instead the emotional roller-coaster and atmosphere of the Ravens game.

3 – Core Information:

I have all the information and details that I want to include, as I took notes while watching the game on Monday. If I do need to go back and check the game for more details, I can just check on google. If I use quotes from the announcers to enhance the atmosphere of the story, I will cite them.

4 – Detailed outline (each paragraph must have a main topic/information):

1. Title: The Indianapolis Colts Vs. The Baltimore Ravens: The Comeback in Baltimore!
  2. Introduction: I am going to write about what this game means for both teams and how they are matched up going into the game, while hooking the reader into the game.
  3. 1st paragraph: I will write about the 1st half of the game, and how it is not expected so far but still very close.
  4. 2nd paragraph: I will go into the 3rd quarter, and how a 22-3 game with such little time remaining seems hopeless and all but finished.
  5. 3rd paragraph: I will write about the rising action of the game, with the amazing 4th quarter leading to overtime.
  6. 4th paragraph: Finally, the time for the climax and falling action as the game finally gets settled in a great comeback win for Baltimore.
  7. Conclusion: I will summarize all the emotional roller-coaster that took place and talk about how exciting the sport is should readers want to keep watching the NFL.
  8. Where are photos going to be placed?  I will place 4 different photos: First photo will be right beside the first paragraph with the scoreboard showing the start of the game. Second photo will be in the second paragraph when the game seems hopeless and show the photo of empty stands to emphasize how lifeless the crowd seems. Third photo will be at the start of the 3rd paragraph when the Ravens get the ball and must get it down the field. The last photo will be in the 4th paragraph at the end of overtime, from the end-zone showing the 1-yard line to emphasize how far they had to go for this. I really believe I took great photos that will heavily enhance my piece of writing.
';