Lebron James Tests Positive for COVID-19

View article here

The face of the NBA nowadays, Lebron James, shocked the world when he tested positive for COVID, and he is not happy about how it was handled. As Michael Kaskey-Blomain writes about Lebron’s experience with isolation protocols, it is clear that the NBA is taking COVID very seriously.

After testing positive in Sacramento, James was forced to find his own way home to Los Angeles and self isolate. He was not tested again to make sure it was not a false positive, and was not allowed security with him on his way to the airport or on the flight home. When James arrived in Los Angeles, he and his family were both forced to self isolate, demolishing any plans that they may have had.

I really liked this article as it was insightful to how players are feeling about these protocols, and how disruptive they can be to their day-to-day schedules. It was also really interesting to learn that James has only played 12 of 24 games on the season, showing why the Lakers are struggling so heavily this season. Hopefully you, the readers, learned as much about inside the NBA and COVID as I did from this.

NHL Allows NFT’s as Trading Cards

View article here

Anyone that has not been living under a rock in the last few months has heard the hype of NFT’s grow larger and larger. Well that hype just recently had a big impact on the hockey world, as a huge deal was made between the NHL and the trading card company, Upper Decker.

This deal allowed NFT’s to be made of certain top level players, allowing fans to buy NFT’s of their favourite players. If the players are performing well and scoring lots of points, the value of their NFT’s go up writes the NHLPA Media Release Blog.

For all you NHL fans reading this, these trading cards may just be the way for you to get into NFT’s without so much risk and uncertainty that the other ones can bring. As for me, I will personally stay away from this. Though it is a cool idea and nice way to expand their market, I think NFT’s are unreliable in general and not worth putting a dime into.

MLB Officially in a Lockout

View article here

Touching on the MLB for those of you interested, there is groundbreaking news! The Major League Baseball is on a lockout for the first time in 16 years. This means there will be no games until common ground between the team owners and the players association is made.

In players first 6 years in the MLB they all make a standard rate, and only after those 6 years do they have a shot at free agency to earn more money. Michael Baumann writes about the analytical side of this, explaining that the players actually perform better earlier in the league, opposite to what was previously thought. If they are performing better than they will at the 6 year mark, then I believe they deserve money as it is due.

Team owners in the MLB will have no problem paying their playing more either, writes Baumann, as they are all billionaires. The over 1000 members in the MLBPA will have to stick it out for a long time to see change, says Baumann. He believes this because he thinks that the owners hold most of the power here, and that the players will want to go back to playing to get paid in due time.

I believe that in general, all athletes should be paid way more. They take the injuries and provide the entertainment just for others to make more money than them, which is not fair. I hope the players get the pay they deserve!

';